P-Star 25K50 Micro
P-Star 25K50 with U.S. quarter for size reference.
The Pololu P-Star 25K50 Micro is a general-purpose programmable module based on Microchip’s PIC18F25K50 microcontroller, which has 32 KB of flash program memory, 2 KB of RAM, and built-in USB functionality. Onboard features of the P-Star (abbreviated P*) include a 16 MHz crystal, a USB Micro-B connector, and three user-controllable indicator LEDs. A voltage regulator and power selection circuit allow the board to be powered from either USB or an external 5.5 V to 15 V source, while a resettable PTC fuse on the USB VBUS supply and reverse protection on VIN help protect it from accidental damage. The board ships with a USB bootloader that makes it easy to program the PIC microcontroller without using an external programmer.
Our comprehensive user’s guide provides the basics you need to get started with the P-Star 25K50 Micro as well as detailed technical information.
This product requires a USB A to Micro-B cable (not included) to connect to a computer.
P-Star 25K50 Micro, bottom view.
P-Star 25K50 Micro, top view.
- Dimensions: 1″ × 0.6″ (1.05″ × 0.6″ including USB Micro-B connector)
- Programmable Microchip PIC18F25K50 microcontroller
- 32 KB flash (8 KB used by bootloader, leaving 24 KB available for user program by default)
- 2 KB SRAM
- 256 bytes of EEPROM
- Native full-speed USB (12 Mbps)
- 5 V logic voltage
- Internally clocked at 48 MHz, resulting in execution speeds up to 12 million instructions per second (MIPS)
- Precision 16 MHz crystal
- Many I/O lines in a small package
- 16 user I/O lines along the sides of the board
- 3 additional I/O pins available in other locations
- 13 pins can be configured as analog inputs
- 2 PWM output signals (one of which can be sent to four different pins)
- 5-bit digital-to-analog converter (DAC) output
- Three user-controllable LEDs
- USB Micro-B connector
- Can be powered from USB or external source regulated to 5 V by onboard regulator
- Operating voltage: 5.5 V to 15 V
- Can operate down to 3.8 V with decreased logic voltage
- Reverse-voltage protection on external power input
- PTC fuse on VBUS supply
- Ships with a proprietary USB bootloader developed by Pololu for the P-Star
- Bootloader is usable from Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X with open source software
- No external programmer required
- Compatible with standard Microchip compilers, development tools, and programmers
- Comprehensive user’s guide
P-Star 25K50 Micro pinout diagram.
This diagram identifies the I/O and power pins on the P-Star 25K50 Micro. The diagram is also available as a printable PDF (161k pdf). For more information about the PIC18F25K50 microcontroller and its peripherals, see Microchip’s PIC18F25K50 documentation.
Two 1×10-pin breakaway 0.1″ male headers and one 1×6-pin breakaway 0.1″ male header are included with the P-Star 25K50 Micro. These header pins can be soldered in to use the board with perfboards, breadboards, or 0.1″ female connectors.
|Size:||0.6″ × 1.05″ × 0.18″1|
|RAM size:||2 Kbytes|
|Program memory size:||32 Kbytes3|
|User I/O lines:||164|
|Minimum operating voltage:||5.5 V|
|Maximum operating voltage:||15 V|
|Logic voltage:||5 V|
|Reverse voltage protection?:||Y5|
|External programmer required?:||N|
- Without included optional headers. This measurement includes the USB Micro-B connector, which extends 0.05″ past the edge of the PCB.
- Without included optional headers.
- 8 KB of the MCU's 32 KB of flash memory is used by the pre-installed USB bootloader. All 32 KB is available if you use an external programmer and erase the bootloader.
- All 16 can be used as digital I/O, 13 can be used as analog inputs, and one can be an analog output. An extra 2 I/O lines are accessible from the ICSP header, and RA0 is accessible on the RA0-VB jumper.
- On VIN.
Documentation and other information
- P-Star 25K50 Micro pinout diagram (161k pdf)
- Printable pinout diagram of the P-Star 25K50 Micro.
- P-Star 25K50 Micro schematic diagram (414k pdf)
- Printable schematic of the P-Star 25K50 Micro.
- P-Star 25K50 Micro dimension diagram (202k pdf)
- Printable dimension diagram of the P-Star 25K50 Micro.
- Pololu USB Bootloader Utility (p-load) for Windows (version 2.0.0) (2MB msi)
- Pololu USB Bootloader Utility (p-load) for Mac OS X (version 2.0.1) (112k pkg)
- This version of the utility software requires Mac OS X 10.11 or later. For older versions of Mac OS X, use p-load 1.0.0 (33k dmg) instead (which only supports the P-Star 25K50).
- P-Star 25K50 Micro drill guide (34k dxf)
- This DXF drawing shows the locations of all of the board’s holes.
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Little Bird Company Pty Ltd users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.